Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Happy Eid!

Ah, I really miss celebrating Eid back home!

I am used to taking part in celebrating the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting, a celebration that is similar to Thanksgiving to westerners and Chinese New Year to those of Chinese origin.

My country is the biggest Muslim nation in Asia and based on the population, I dare say it is the biggest in the world. I guess it makes sense to make this celebration a national holiday.

I don't think any Indonesian can deny the fact that this holiday is the perfect holiday and I believe they will agree with my reason below:

1. It is a national holiday, so employees are paid to enjoy it.
2. Having the privilege to spend some time off with our loved ones.
3. Freedom from traffic due to the majority of people making a living in Jakarta are from other cities.
4. Getting some extra money on top of your salary.
5. Enjoying the typical holiday food

About the extra money, if you work in Indonesia, you are entitled of some extra money known as Tunjangan Hari Raya (THR) and this is legally mandated by Indonesia's Ministry of Manpower and Transmigration. Isn't it great, paid holiday with some extra income? The value differs by region, but within the Jakarta region the amount cannot be less than your monthly salary and it has to be paid in advance.

Living in Florida, I am not at all thinking about the extra money although having a job right now would be nice. I am thinking of all the good time I could have spent back home with family and friends and of course, the typical holiday food such as...

Diamond (firm rice cake cooked in woven coconut leaves)












Braised chicken in coconut milk










Chicken liver and gizzard in spicy gravy














My mouth is watering looking at those pictures. I really have to learn how to make them.

To my celebrating friends, I wish you all a Happy Eid! Eat some of those dishes for me :)

1 comment: