Tuesday, August 16, 2011

5º00´ S 120º00´ E

An archipelago in South East Asia with more than 15,000 islands, where less than half are occupied, positioned between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean on the equator is where I am from. A country called Indonesia, a place I proudly call home.

August is the birthday month and I have been thinking of my beloved country lately
. There is always this mix of feelings whenever I think or talk about it. The land is so pretty, rich in history and culture, yet so corrupted. It is just sad to see how greed has consumed the leader and how power has overcome conscience.

I am not a historian so I don't know the history in
detail and the history that I know is what I learned from my elementary years to my high school years. I am not a politician either so I am in no position to judge our politicians. But looking back at history and standing from a citizen's point of view, I dare say I miss the 32 years of reign of the second president, Soeharto. He was not the best leader but he was not the worst either. He was not the most educated person, he came from a very humble beginning. He came from a military background and (I think) had no political knowledge at all. But under his military ruling style, Soeharto had endeavored to achieve his national development goals and reach substantial progress in various fields, progress which had been enjoyed by the majority of people.  Sometimes I think Indonesia needs a leader like Soeharto, only wiser.

This year, Indonesia is 66
years old and that is 53 years under military ruling and 13 years and counting in trying to practice democracy. Obviously there are so many things to unlearn and learn. If I had to sum my country up in a sentence, I'd say that it is a republic who was once under military ruling and who is now learning to practice democracy. 

Keep it up, beloved country. Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young. As Winston Churchill once said "Never, never, never give up!".


No comments:

Post a Comment