Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My first handmade scarf

A lot of my friends and some family members are surprised to know that I am able to create something with my two hands. I was known more as a social butterfly rather than a crafty girl. Let's just say, art and crafts are not my thing. Making knitting a hobby had never crossed my mind either, not until recently. To be honest, it was actually something I had given up hope on a long time ago.

I was first introduced to knitting when I was in Shanghai, at least 4 to 5 years ago. One of my house mates started doing it and I thought to myself 'Hey, that's a good way to kill time!'. So one day I walked around the wet market near my apartment in Cao Yang District, Shanghai and found that they sell knitting supplies. Don't ask me why they sell yarn and knitting stuff in a wet market. I think that is just how things work there. I quickly approached the seller and bought some yarn and needles. I told her that I was a beginner, I knew nothing about knitting and to my surprise she patiently explained the steps. I spent some good hours there trying to make the best of the free lesson offered, making sure I knew what to do for when I am doing it on my own. Being a social butterfly that I am, I find it hard to find time to knit and the desire slowly faded away. I quit!

The topic was brought up in one of the morning chats I had almost 6 weeks ago with Dottie, a 73 year old lady who comes to the gym 4 days a week and always sits next to me on the bikes. She said "I am retired, a widow, live with 2 dogs, I have to keep myself sane. I need to do something." One of her ways to keep her sanity is to give free knitting lessons every Wednesday in a public library.

Free lessons? Who wouldn't want a free lesson? Again I thought it was a good way to kill time since I am now jobless and I was still waiting for my USA working permit at the time. I gave it some thought. After thinking it through, I finally went to Michael's to buy some yarn and needles.

Now it is just a matter of how to get myself to the library. I don't drive, I have no car and it is about a 30 minute walk under Orlando's heat from home to the bus stop. I do have a bike, but again, it is at least a 45 minute bike ride under the sun. Arghhhh... it is too late to quit now that I have bought the needles and the yarn and I quit once, I don't want to be a quitter.

Who do I turn to for help? You Tube! I learned how to cast on the stitches on my own and I have been knitting for at least 1 month now.

Knitting is now a different story. It is the new hobby I enjoy and love. My first handmade scarf is half way done and I can't wait to put it on this coming winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment